• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Brighton Away - Pre Match Thread

Prefix for Poll Threads

Who should partner VVD if Lovren is injured (and no Matip or Gomez available)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly I'm fine with us losing some of the media spotlight, maybe even going back to being the underdogs. Let the Manchester clubs soak up all the press attention. We'll just get on with it.

That's a pretty clear statement mate. In the following half a dozen posts 3 had a go at you :( There is a clique on here that follows closely in each others footsteps and won't utter a word of disagreement with each other. Pretty much like all close mates I suppose. I wasn't inferring you were part of it though, just that you were echoing their view.

Anyway ... Back to Brighton !

I've been a loan wolf from day one, well me and my cabbages.

I'm not being despondent and moody. I love where we are at, I just never buy into this notion that it can last because you have to back it up. When you let players go and suffer injuries in key positions, you have to compound that with reinforcements. You don't let your only adequate cover for full back go and leave yourself with a player who's repeatedly proven he's one of the worst defenders in the league.

I have NO problem with us rotating last night, but you do it the right way. Klopp not only changed the system - two lazy strikers playing as a flat front two with no movement/two wide players dropping to cover for two full backs (none of the four players we're used to that). Moreno has repeatedly let us down in these sort of games, yet he gets a guaranteed start. What's the point? He should be gone at the end of the season, he's just slagged us off in the press, the lad should be out the door.

As Macca said, you stick with the system, make minor alterations and mix experienced first teamers with youth in key areas. You partner them up. Whatevers, it didn't work, we were disjointed, players who are on the fringes proved why they shouldn't have a future here (Mignolet, Moreno, Sturridge) and we're now out another competition. I don't see any positivity to be gained from reducing our chances or silverware. It smacks of putting all of our eggs in one basket.

Like I said, are you going to post if we finish 2nd or 3rd about how great a season it's been? Finishing with no silverware and patting ourselves on the back for putting up a title challenge is great and all but what then? Hope that Salah is willing to wait for trophies like his predecessors didn't? Hope next season we can go one better? These chances notoriously don't come along often and I'd rather have the safety net of a cup run and possibly breaking the 10 year duck of winning nothing, than going into another season where we crash out the domestic cups because they've suddenly become meaningless to a club who can't buy a trophy.

So no, I'm not "full of pessimism", I love our progress and I hope we maintain our League form and push City all the way, but I'm not going to turn into an Arsenal bellend, feeling all happy and shit at the selfies at the end of the season and guaranteed CL qualification. We've done that for the last couple of seasons, now Klopp needs to actually win something.

So for all of your optimism, I'd rather be realistic and remember that we've been here before, we've had the wind taken out of our sails by a couple of bad results or a few lengthy injuries. It's all it takes, but there's absolutely zero excuse for repeatedly surrendering up the League Cup and FA Cup as "meaningless". I get that overseas fans value the league and CL more, we all do, but we also value domestic success as the foundations for breeding a winning mentality. Where the fuck did this, "ahh it means fuck all anyway" attitude come from? Our past greats would be turning in their graves at that myopic & arrogant mentality.

This is a great post.

I do think though that this season we are ahead of schedule in terms of leading the table by 4 pts at this stage. Nobody realistically expected it. If we go on to finish 2nd then yes it will have progress but of course that would mean we need to win the title next season.

It come back to the same point I made in pre season. Our squad isn't big enough to compete for all trophies so prioritising the CL and the league(considering we are at the moment) over the two domestic cups makes sense, even if I don't like that we have gone out again in the 3rd round.

What is clear is that Klopp is consistently adding more top class additions to the squad than he is poor signing that become deadwood.

We certainly have more options than last year but still not enough to try and win everything.

Oh and small note but it's 7 years not 10 ;)

I'll type this extra-slowly so maybe you'll finally understand. If last night was not the result of inconsistent decisions and intentions, and was instead the result of a consistent and coherent set of decisions seeking to maximise our chances at the weekend, explain the logic of bringing on Salah and Firmino. Last chance.

I would think it's pretty obvious.

It's somewhere in the middle. Klopp prioritised giving his first team as much time off as possible.

He gave VVD, Robbo and Allison the night off completely as they have played almost non stop and if you are chasing a game bringing a defender on won't usually help.

We were so thin on the ground he had to start Lovren and have TAA on the bench.

Ideally none of the front 3 would have come on if we were winning but as we were losing he brought on two of them to try and rescue the game. 20 mins for those two and 0 mins for Mane is much better than 90 mins for all three.

Klopp wants a trophy as much as any fan, he just tried to give his crucial players as much rest as possible while still trying to not get knocked out.

I dont agree with this part. Who gives a fuck what pundits and others say?

We MUST win something for the supporters. As someone who has been lucky enough to have a season ticket for 25 years, the best days out I've had in my life have been watching Liverpool win trophies. Istanbul 05, Cardiff in 06 winning the FA Cup, Cardiff in 03 for the League Cup, Alaves in Dortmund, the 01 Cup final against Arsenal. Ive been present at all of these moments and more. Its the fucking best feeling ever. That's why winning Trophies are so important. Its been that fucking long since we won one, Ive forgotten what it feels like.

I agree we need to prioritise the league, but just dont forget how good ANY sort of cup final win is for the fans. Thats why its a MUST to try and win something.

Would you trade all of the domestic cup wins in that 25 years for the title this year?

It's different in hypothetical situations where "you win the fa cup or the league"

In reality watching an abject display like last night gives confidence to our rivals and makes teams who would have been quaking, now think there's something to be taken from us

Surely not when 9 of the team won't face league opponents.

Again, it's not about the personnel. It takes away from our aura by losing in such abject fashion.

Couldn't disagree more. Our aura has been in the league, not the domestic cups or Europe.

Chelsea beat a strong Liverpool side in the league cup at Anfield and we rescued a last min draw a few days later and that didn't take away the aura.

We got beaten away by PSG, Napoli and Red Star! and that didn't take away our aura in the league.

Basically a reserves/u23 side losing to a decent Wolves team when it was obvious to everyone we were resting our first team wont give any team extra encouragement.

Lose to Brighton and we can talk about losing that air of invincibility for all bar City.

Again, it's not about the personnel. It takes away from our aura by losing in such abject fashion.
Ah that's bollocks, IMHO of course. Other professionals will have seen the game at City (which some are describing as the game of the season) and have seen 9 changes and 3 youth players inc. a 16 y.o. at Wolves. If anything I think they're likely to have been impressed that even with virtually a reserve team we could still stay with Wolves' strongest lineup.

Then they will see the lineup against them.

Does anyone think Lovrens injury was a fake ? Klopp and him planned it so he could get some rest ? I was surprised we only lost 2-1 with that squad against a full Wolves side.

Interesting theory Holmes. Now let's consider the possible motivations...

Nope. What the hell are you on about?

Couldn't disagree more. Our aura has been in the league, not the domestic cups or Europe.

Chelsea beat a strong Liverpool side in the league cup at Anfield and we rescued a last min draw a few days later and that didn't take away the aura.

We got beaten away by PSG, Napoli and Red Star! and that didn't take away our aura in the league.

Basically a reserves/u23 side losing to a decent Wolves team when it was obvious to everyone we were resting our first team wont give any team extra encouragement.

Lose to Brighton and we can talk about losing that air of invincibility for all bar City.

I agree. Our new 'aura' is eminating from key players - VVD, Alisson, Robbo, Mo, whilst other players are creating moments of genius at shared intervals (Shaq, Mane, Bobby, TAA, Fabs, Gomez).

And even if it did, we want teams to attack us as that plays into our strengths!

But weren't we told on here that this wasn't a great experience for the youngsters?

Just reading Curtis Jones post match interview and he's absolutely buzzing about getting a chance. The result doesn't seem to have registered. I think the debriefing will have been pretty clear.

"All must be sacrificed at the altar of #19"
Don't tell Macca. He's convinced they'll all be suffering from clinical depression by now. Or is 'buzzing' a codeword for depression in this context ?

Does anyone think Lovrens injury was a fake ? Klopp and him planned it so he could get some rest ? I was surprised we only lost 2-1 with that squad against a full Wolves side.
Someone mentioned on a TAW podcast that, a couple of seasons ago, he was playing in a midweek league cup game, got "injured" and was carried off on a stretcher with an oxygen mask. He then started the following Saturday.

So I wouldn't put it past the mad man ... though I doubt it was agreed with Klopp

Yeah your memory is definitely failing old man. Wishful thinking doesn't count.

And if you had been right and I was shouted down ... wouldn't that underline their hypocrisy now ?

I'm not really sure what you're on about now, just that you said the CL was the best and being Champions was "just provincial" and "irrelevant" at which point everyone started laughing at you and you decided to shut the fuck up.

I think Dreamy was the only person who agreed with you, and that says it all really.

I agree. Our new 'aura' is eminating from key players - VVD, Alisson, Robbo, Mo, whilst other players are creating moments of genius at shared intervals (Shaq, Mane, Bobby, TAA, Fabs, Gomez).

And even if it did, we want teams to attack us as that plays into our strengths!

Exactly, lose Mo Allison or most importantly VVD and it would affect confidence and aura more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom