• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brendan Rodgers Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary25

Well-Known
Liverpool team is most pure, uncut essence of Brendan Rodgers so far

Barney Ronay

Post-Gerrard, post-Balotelli, post-Sterling the manager can evolve his squad without ‘haircut players’ or leftovers from someone else’s grand plan

It is no more than a handy coincidence but there was an unavoidable resonance about Liverpool’s first post-Balotelli performance at the Emirates Stadium on Monday night.
Just as the ultimate “haircut player” heads back on loan to Milan – a man whose reputation as an outrageously talented centre-forward appears to be based on the zaniness of his private life, the excellence of his T-shirt collection as much as actual goals scored or skills executed – it seemed poignant that Liverpool should produce not only a third clean sheet in a row but an urgent, industrious performance that underlined the suggestion of a team once again in meaningful transition.

The two events are of course unconnected. Balotelli was simply wrong for Liverpool, a terrible fit for a manager who prizes movement and adaptability in his forward line and who never had the time or the patience to bend the most listless, room temperature of maverick footballers to his will.

What was clear during the 0-0 draw at the Emirates is that Brendan Rodgers has maintained his own remarkable thirst for on-the-hoof rebuilding. Liverpool’s manager may still be waiting for his first trophy but he has now achieved the remarkable feat of conjuring up four significantly different teams in four seasons at the club, in each case out of an unavoidable shemozzle of revolving personnel and evolving tactics.

First up was the light, neat, Swansea-flavoured Liverpool of his first year at Anfield. After that came the Luis Suárez-driven attacking machine, with its thrilling, doomed title challenge. Then came last season’s stodgy sixth place, a season of defensive introspection that felt a bit like an extended Viking funeral for a single, indigestible superstar presence.

This time around, post-Gerrard, post-Balotelli, post-Sterling, Rodgers has had a tournament-free summer to concoct not only his fourth Liverpool team but perhaps his most intriguing. Make no mistake: whatever Liverpool produce from here it will at least be pure, uncut essence of Brendan, a team no longer bound up with leftovers from someone else’s grand plan.

In Rodgers’ first year at the club Jamie Carragher and Joe Cole were still knocking about the place. Suárez was a thrilling presence one year, a potent absence the next. Managing Steven Gerrard wasn’t so much a footballing challenge but a matter of overseeing, with as little collateral damage as possible, an epic, slow-burn sentimental goodbye.

No more, though. This is undeniably a Rodgers team now. Of Liverpool’s 18-man squad at the Emirates only Martin Skrtel and Lucas Leiva were signed as first-team players by somebody else. It will take time – and the team will evolve further as players return from injury – but after three Premier League matches it is hard to avoid the impression that this is the gnarliest, most resolute, most obviously team-like Rodgers team to date.

Without the need to accommodate Gerrard, who was never a very disciplined – or by the end very mobile – central midfielder, Liverpool were able to field a genuinely high-pressure central midfield three. Before the match Rodgers had suggested his team would pass up dominating possession in favour “dominating space”, which as boilerplate football-blah goes certainly makes a change from all the lads going out and giving 130%. The desire to stay compact was clear from the start, however, with Emre Can, Lucas and James Milner providing a gristly central fulcrum, assisting Arsenal in their desire to give the ball away by closing down the space, and often retaining the ball well with simple, patient passing.

Liverpool’s physical power was notable throughout. This is a team of athletes, with strength and mobility and defence and attack, and with a pair of Brazilian inside-forwards prepared to scuttle and harry between the lines. Liverpool made almost half as many passes as Arsenal but they made more tackles, won more aerial duels and often outmuscled their opponents in the clinches.

Two new players stood out. Christian Benteke has already made a difference, his goal against Bournemouth last week the first by any Liverpool centre-forward in any competition since March. Against Arsenal he was a mobile, menacing presence, making runs right across the forward line and showing a fine touch. Without really seeming to play an airborne game, Benteke won an astonishing 16 aerial challenges and was by some distance the most adhesive, mobile centre-forward on the pitch.
Arsène Wenger has often complained there simply aren’t enough high-class centre-forwards out there. Well, he saw one on Monday night.

Liverpool’s other outstanding player was Joe Gomez, the Forest Hill Flyer, who isn’t yet 19 years old, who isn’t really a full-back and who definitely isn’t left-footed, but who played with a preternatural assurance on that side, shutting out Aaron Ramsey, keeping pace with Héctor Bellerín and confirming the impression of a footballer of rare poise and grace.

Liverpool have three young south Londoners right now: Gomez, Jordon Ibe and Nathaniel Clyne, from Catford, Bermondsey and Brixton respectively. There is a certain template here, with similar qualities in all three of calmness, physical power and fine technical skills. Liverpool fans have at times lamented the cutting off of a familiar supply line, the lack of players coming through who seem to have just wandered in off some inner-city street. Well, they’re still there. They just happen to come from south London these days.

It would be wrong to read too much into three games at the start of a season when only Manchester City have begun with real intent. In three years of ever-evolving Brendan-ism at Anfield there have often been periods of progress followed by a sudden plateauing out. As Arsenal pushed Liverpool back in the second half at the Emirates, however, there was a sense of undeniable resilience in a team that had three teenagers on the pitch by the end.

While it may not yet be Rodgers’ most free-scoring creation, this side shows every sign of being his most carefully stitched, his most balanced and perhaps his most interesting.

Christian Benteke has already made a difference, his goal against Bournemouth last week the first by any Liverpool centre-forward in any competition since March. Against Arsenal he was a mobile, menacing presence, making runs right across the forward line and showing a fine touch. Without really seeming to play an airborne game, Benteke won an astonishing 16 aerial challenges and was by some distance the most adhesive, mobile centre-forward on the pitch.

Arsène Wenger has often complained there simply aren’t enough high-class centre-forwards out there. Well, he saw one on Monday night.

VyejqyY.gif

Errr.....didn't we buy Balotelli while Teeth was manager? It's not like he was an ever present last season either.

He makes some fair points, at least about this seeming more like a team that Rodgers has been allowed to oversee much more on his own and as said, without the headaches some of the previous signings were giving us. It's difficult to tackle the Gerrard subject, but it was one that was very much a tightrope situation for the club.

Errr.....didn't we buy Balotelli while Teeth was manager? It's not like he was an ever present last season either.

It's plain as the nose on Thommo's face that Balotelli wasn't Rodgers' choice. In fact it was plain at the time - just two or three weeks before the signing he'd said publicly that Balotelli would not be playing for us.

As I said earlier in the summer, the line of least resistance, as far as apportioning praise is concerned, is surely to speculate on the contribution of O'Driscoll and the rest of the new set-up, because that's the new factor in the equation. I'm not saying that to denigrate Rodgers, just re-stating the implications he was inviting by changing the people around him.

As far as selection is concerned, the greatest flaw in the committee system was it failed to follow through its own rules. It was supposed to produce a set of options; Rodgers had the veto on any of those options; and if he vetoed any one option, another option rose to the top; and so on. Whereas what happened all too often was: an option was voted on, and Rodgers - if it wasn't his own preferred option - was given the right of veto, but on the understanding that, if he DID veto it, there probably wouldn't BE another option (due to lack of time and/or funds and/or committee consensus). Hence he accepted several players he didn't really want, even though he didn't formally vote against them. This time he agreed with the choices and all is much the better. That's still partly down to luck (he was as keen as anyone, last time, on Markovic), but then it always is, for any manager.

As I said earlier in the summer, the line of least resistance, as far as apportioning praise is concerned, is surely to speculate on the contribution of O'Driscoll and the rest of the new set-up, because that's the new factor in the equation. I'm not saying that to denigrate Rodgers, just re-stating the implications he was inviting by changing the people around him.

As I recall your summer comments about O'Driscoll were mainly about how dull he sounded and how he was likely to be a yes man because Rodgers wouldn't work with anyone of independent thought. Here's one such example of what you said (there are others):

"I guess that makes clear he is Rodgers' choice. I was hoping someone would be imposed on him. The first team doesn't really need THREE coaches (all of whom share exactly the same vision). It needs at least one person who is experienced, able to step back and look at the big picture, sometimes play devil's advocate and offer the manager shrewd advice. This just smacks of Rodgers getting MORE people who'll agree with him rather than show enough courage to take on board someone with a bit of independence. How's that defence going to improve if his two new assistants look at him and say, 'Keep the faith'?"

So what's the improvement down to? The manager who brings in new staff who immediately improve the coaching set up or the manager who surrounds himself with like-minded acolytes who simply do his bidding? Either way Rodgers was right wasn't he?

From the outside in that's what O'Driscoll comes across as, so its an easy assumption to make. For example look at Roy Keane and then someone like Glen Roeder, what you see is what you get. Either way it has had an immediate positive effect with our new staff, but its early days. Lets hope its a case of Sean being the quiet unassuming type who gathers respect without having to shout his mouth off.

Its worth saying too, you can have fairly poor ways of expressing yourself with the media, but be an excellent tactician, motivator, etc

It might be - as dmish suggested in another thread - that any improvement we're seeing is simply down to better players, e.g. Clyne, Milner and Gomez (as a separate note, if they prove to be medium to long-term successes then there is a lot of credit to be given there).

There has been evidence of improvement but there has also been evidence of very similar organizational / defensive issues to those we saw in previous seasons.

Early days.

From the outside in that's what O'Driscoll comes across as, so its an easy assumption to make. For example look at Roy Keane and then someone like Glen Roeder, what you see is what you get. Either way it has had an immediate positive effect with our new staff, but its early days. Lets hope its a case of Sean being the quiet unassuming type who gathers respect without having to shout his mouth off.
Yeah I don't disagree with any of that, I'm just making the point that he's either not the yes man that Rodgers was said to surround himself with or if he is then Rodgers must have been doing something right in the first place.

Yeah I don't disagree with any of that, I'm just making the point that he's either not the yes man that Rodgers was said to surround himself with or if he is then Rodgers must have been doing something right in the first place.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing, but you get an impression from Sean's interviews that he's somewhere between grounded and completely at odds with where he has found himself. It's irrelevant though as you say, if the end result continues to translate well.

If Rodgers does ok this season we're going to pay a heavy price for his success in the transfer market.

He's terrible at signing players and if his luck this summer pays off then he'll be given countless millions to waste over the next couple of years.

*wonders how long it'll be before the geniuses known as mark1975 and leftpeg spot the 'flaw' in that argument*

If Rodgers does ok this season we're going to pay a heavy price for his success in the transfer market.

He's terrible at signing players and if his luck this summer pays off then he'll be given countless millions to waste over the next couple of years.

*wonders how long it'll be before the geniuses known as mark1975 and leftpeg spot the 'flaw' in that argument*
It's a trap, it's a trap!

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing, but you get an impression from Sean's interviews that he's somewhere between grounded and completely at odds with where he has found himself. It's irrelevant though as you say, if the end result continues to translate well.

He's sort of endearingly crap at interviews. It's like trying to throw a cricket ball really gently at a kid so he can catch it and they just stand there as it hits them in the tummy. Even when someone asked O'Driscoll about the praise that Rodgers had heaped on him last season, he just muttered, 'I didn't read it'. As you suggest, it's quite refreshing to have someone there who just gets on with the job and isn't interested in anything else.

It stopped the stupid replies, so yep.

You'd have to make sense of it to reply.

It felt like watching someone cough violently and accidentally vomit all over themselves.

I felt like asking if you're ok and could I get you anything.... a tissue maybe?

He's sort of endearingly crap at interviews. It's like trying to throw a cricket ball really gently at a kid so he can catch it and they just stand there as it hits them in the tummy. Even when someone asked O'Driscoll about the praise that Rodgers had heaped on him last season, he just muttered, 'I didn't read it'. As you suggest, it's quite refreshing to have someone there who just gets on with the job and isn't interested in anything else.

They were taking the piss out of him in the equally dreadful commentary on Monday night, re his comment about Gomez being the sort of player who "gets your back straight". Typically poorly expressed by O'Driscoll, but the irony was lost on Lee Dixon who talked utter shite for 90 minutes.

You'd have to make sense of it to reply.

It felt like watching someone cough violently and accidentally vomit all over themselves.

I felt like asking if you're ok and could I get you anything.... a tissue maybe?

A bib? (And not a fluorescent footy type one).

Rodgers has made mistakes in the market and big ones, but the evidence so far points to us having had a successful summer of recruitment. Clyne, Gomez and Milner are already a success in my eyes, whilst Firmino and Benteke still have a lot to prove the signs are promising. That's 5 players who have came in and instantly improved the first eleven. It's not often a club can say that about a window. Prior to this window I was equally non-plussed over his record and I'm not a large fan of relying on the best talent from lower in the league, but I'm prepared to accept that in a summer where he's been given the most control, we've also gotten the majority of a decisions right.re the geniuses known as mark1975 and leftpeg spot th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom