• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Biggest fuck up this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Suarez.
How the fuck did we not bring this lad back?
He'd have been perfect to spell Bobby, to score goals, to fight every game ...

Nah.

Thiago.

Thiago was a poor signing - doesn't fit a Klopp midfield in the slightest.
Still think it's not bringing in this lad - he still has it and for a team that cannot get shots on goal, let alone score goals, he'd have change things completely imo.

Not signing another CB. It was the most forseable error that we all knew could be problematic.

Yah that too ... Macca said Klopp wanted to but the board wouldn't back him up.
I wonder if the financial losses that will hit us next year will help them realize if they want to own this 'franchise' for the long term, CL football is a must year in, year out. We don't want to be like Arsenal.

Not signing a defender has been the root of lots of other issues.

As soon as we lost Van Dijk it was never gonna work out relying on two injury prone centre backs.

So the midfield was weakened and unbalanced, which not only can't have helped Thiago but also won't have helped the forwards.

I don't accept that not signing Suarez was a fuck up. Jota looked like a great signing earlier in the season. Not his fault he got injured. The way this season has gone, if he had signed Suarez he would probably have got injured. Or suspended.

Not signing a defender has been the root of lots of other issues.

As soon as we lost Van Dijk it was never gonna work out relying on two injury prone centre backs.

So the midfield was weakened and unbalanced, which not only can't have helped Thiago but also won't have helped the forwards.

I don't accept that not signing Suarez was a fuck up. Jota looked like a great signing earlier in the season. Not his fault he got injured. The way this season has gone, if he had signed Suarez he would probably have got injured. Or suspended.

This is the the real reason - no other reason but this. Also - I have to say - I don't understand the Thiago decision at all, I know that there was all this talk about how great a player he is, but to be honest all I think about is his poor performance (actually non existent) in our away match against Bayern Munich the year we won the CL. Seriously though you cannot account for all this bad shit up front this season for our usual front three. It's pretty fucked up all round.

Suarez.
How the fuck did we not bring this lad back?
He'd have been perfect to spell Bobby, to score goals, to fight every game ...

I remember Mancs laughing at us when they were signing brand name players like Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic. At the same time, we were targeting players of the right age and potential groups like Gini, Salah, and Mane. Thiago was a departure from the strategy which delivered us so much success. Not sure why we did that.

Suarez is not the answer. Yes, he is having a good season in La Liga but I dont think he will be that effective in the premier league anymore. Stick to signing players like Jota and we will be fine.

I remember Mancs laughing at us when they were signing brand name players like Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic. At the same time, we were targeting players of the right age and potential groups like Gini, Salah, and Mane. Thiago was a departure from the strategy which delivered us so much success. Not sure why we did that.

Suarez is not the answer. Yes, he is having a good season in La Liga but I dont think he will be that effective in the premier league anymore. Stick to signing players like Jota and we will be fine.

Ibrahimvoic was still considered a top quality - and still is at 39 (see the difference with Milan since he returned?).
I will respond trying to remove how Suarez could have helped us because of the current issues (players who can drive the team forward when they lack confidence/idea, few fighters on the pitch & few goalscorers) - i.e. hindsight is ...

1) Did I say "Suarez was the answer"? Suarez would have been an excellent 2-3 year option.
2) The comparison to Thiago is off - Thiago has never played in England and was a luxury signing, which didn't fit into our midfield at all. We'd have to adjust our play, one way or another, to accommodate a midfielder who was never a ball carriers or ball winner.
3) Suarez would have fit into the current set up without an issue as the #9.
4) Even if Jota was healthy, would you rather have Suarez to give Bobby a rest every 2-3 games (if not replace him?) or Origi? Are our current attacking options better than what Suarez can still offer?
5) Suarez would have a massive chip on his shoulder - try to make up for how he left the team originally and trying to give a gigantic middle finger to Barca. An already naturally motivated player with a chip on his shoulder? Yikes.
6) The comparison to Jota is silly - if it was him or Jota, obviously Jota (team refreshing etc). I'm looking for a player to strength our rotation and keep Bobby on his toes (have we ever had that) that would cost us nothing in transfer fees and be an asset to this team in the next 1-2 years.

Lastly, I haven't watched much footy outside of England this year ... and since December, I've barely watched any footy outside of the shit we've been served up ... but I do know that Athletico are still managed by a manager who's way of playing is more similar to classic Italian in terms of 'desired' result - 1-0. (Their league position is of little interest - I doubt they'd be there if Barca or Madrid were 'healthier' - physically and as squads). So league goals scored as per wiki:

Salah - 25 games, 17 goals
Suarez - 21 games, 16 goals
Mane - 23 games, 7 goals
Bobby -27 games, 6 goals

Thiago was a poor signing - doesn't fit a Klopp midfield in the slightest.
Still think it's not bringing in this lad - he still has it and for a team that cannot get shots on goal, let alone score goals, he'd have change things completely imo.

Thiago is a great fit for us, if you place him in the team from last season.
He, as most of our other players, look out of sorts in an injury ridden, make shift and out of position side this year.
We're asking him to a job that he wouldnt do with a Fabinho or Hendo in midfield.
And the whole team is hurting from no CB's.
We wont see the best of him until next season, sadly.

I hate that some of our fans have found a new scapegoat. But its always the case when things arent going well.

Thiago is a great fit for us, if you place him in the team from last season.
He, as most of our other players, look out of sorts in an injury ridden, make shift and out of position side this year.
We're asking him to a job that he wouldnt do with a Fabinho or Hendo in midfield.
And the whole team is hurting from no CB's.
We wont see the best of him until next season, sadly.

I hate that some of our fans have found a new scapegoat. But its always the case when things arent going well.

Calling him a poor signing is scapegoating him now? So if we call Tsimikas a poor signing, that's scapegoating him too even though he's not played this year?

I don't think you'll ever see the 'best' of Thiago, primarily because he's never going to be as good as he was with Barca or Bayern.
I think he'd look brilliant in Man City but that style of play isn't ours ... and I also don't think he works well in our midfield - esp in how Klopp has built it the last few years - unless we change things up, which I struggle to see how we can do it.

I hate that because our team was so good until Feb last year, those who see issues with our owners, or the manager, or players or even playing style are somehow not allowed to see serious issues while still appreciating the greatness of the care of this team. I guess we should all just light a virtual bonfire, sing kumbaya and send thoughts and prayers for a healthy team next year, which will obviously see us return to our very best.

I think thiago wasn't brought in for this.

He was brought in to play alongside 2 combative, agile midfielders, to help unlock stubborn defences.

He's not had that, and on top of that he's had a shitty defence behind him to worry about. And mane and Bobby out of form. And a bad injury. And trying to adapt to the new league.

Let's cut him some slack. Give him some time. Let's see if Klopp can find a way to get the best out if him.

I think thiago wasn't brought in for this.

He was brought in to play alongside 2 combative, agile midfielders, to help unlock stubborn defences.

He's not had that, and on top of that he's had a shitty defence behind him to worry about. And mane and Bobby out of form. And a bad injury. And trying to adapt to the new league.

Let's cut him some slack. Give him some time. Let's see if Klopp can find a way to get the best out if him.

That's fair - I hope you're right, but I just don't know if it's doable if 2 agile, combative midfielders can not only cover Thiago's defensive inadequacies and Trent's too ... That being said, if our front 3 is fit and firing, less stress on them ... who the fuck knows.

Calling him a poor signing is scapegoating him now? So if we call Tsimikas a poor signing, that's scapegoating him too even though he's not played this year?

I don't think you'll ever see the 'best' of Thiago, primarily because he's never going to be as good as he was with Barca or Bayern.
I think he'd look brilliant in Man City but that style of play isn't ours ... and I also don't think he works well in our midfield - esp in how Klopp has built it the last few years - unless we change things up, which I struggle to see how we can do it.

I hate that because our team was so good until Feb last year, those who see issues with our owners, or the manager, or players or even playing style are somehow not allowed to see serious issues while still appreciating the greatness of the care of this team. I guess we should all just light a virtual bonfire, sing kumbaya and send thoughts and prayers for a healthy team next year, which will obviously see us return to our very best.

He wouldnt be called a poor signing if we hadnt had 74 injured CB's. Thats my point.

I really wanted Suarez back and I think it could have papered over a lot of cracks as he’s that fucking good.

As it stands letting Lovern go wasn’t the best bit of business so just shows how crippled we have become.

All I can hope is that all this tightness is because we are landing Mbappe in the summer!

Apart from the obvious, mentioned several times, a special fuck up is not adapting alternative tactics.
Counter attack, lower defensive line, sitting back, letting our lads rest a bit from all the pressing. Soaking it up. Look at Chelsea yesterday. Damn they were good defensively one on one, and as a unit.

Apart from the obvious, mentioned several times, a special fuck up is not adapting alternative tactics.
Counter attack, lower defensive line, sitting back, letting our lads rest a bit from all the pressing. Soaking it up. Look at Chelsea yesterday. Damn they were good defensively one on one, and as a unit.

Yup, and that has to fall on Klopp and his staff.
The question is why aren't they adapting?
Fucking play 4-5-1 and try to win 1-0, I don't give a shit.

I cannot get my head around it. Why there hasn't been a proper change.
We have seen some tactical adjustments, most clearly against Palace, and against Sheff U now recently.

I cannot get my head around it. Why there hasn't been a proper change.
We have seen some tactical adjustments, most clearly against Palace, and against Sheff U now recently.

Yup, it's extremely worrying ... and before people doubt it, I want him back next year - but this year has highlighted one of his biggest weaknesses as a manager ... He's not good at adapting to situations like this with action (brilliant with words)

Let's be honest all of these were "Fuck Ups", not signing Haaland (when we could have). Passing on Bruno Fernandes and Cavani. Are we sure Suarez would have wanted to come back to England? Also, go back to the threads where we discussed Suarez's return and very few people were warm to it. However, the biggest "Fuck Up" happened in the Winter Transfer Window, FSG failed to recruit any decent defenders at the very beginning. The dead rubber game against the "Midgetland", I doubt Klopp wanted to pick Jota, but was told the cash was required so he had to risk it. FSGs frugalness is backfiring.

Definitely the CB. Lovren going and not being replaced has caused us to lose one of the best CMs in the league from his position to play at CB, hurting us in multiple areas.

Yes - we are lacking bite up front, but a lot of that is down to an ineffective midfield behind them.

I think the Cavani signing is a fair shout, he's probably on huge wages but he's there on a 1 year deal and he's taken alot of pressure of their underperformed strikers. Greenwood has 1 league goal this year, Martial has 4. Bringing in Cavani to get them 10-12 goals is going to be a great piece of business.

Another reason to have gone after Suarez! :)
We were top of the league beginning of Jan, I didn't see where is Suarez threads then.
The biggest fuck happened in the Winter window. We failed to buy CBs as soon as the window opened. We waited until Matip was ruled out for the season to get replacements and then not till the last day. FSG should take all the blame for this season

We were top of the league beginning of Jan, I didn't see where is Suarez threads then.

Because we don't have a #9 who can influence the game - and haven't for over a year now.
Because we don't trust our back up for #9 (Divock).
Because having a #9 would have ensured our two best goalscorer could have been rotated more and hence, allowed them to be fresher.
Because our squad is not good enough, so I'd rather have a Suarez on the bench than Divock or one of the kids.

Don't hold your breath lad. He can see it as we all can, it just seems he’s either too stubborn or incapable.

Don't hold your breath lad. He can see it as we all can, it just seems he’s either too stubborn or incapable.

Not incapable. For whatever reason he keeps persisting banging his head against the wall.

I think part of the problem, as ibro said in the other thread, is that in most games it's always down to fine margins. We're doing most things right and generally our issues stem from a failure to convert chances. It must be pretty maddening for the coaches and making it quite difficult for them to abandon a strategy that takes us 90% of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom