• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Big Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Surely after Everton's game he must start up top against Utd?

They simply could not get near the Everton aerial threat.

This could be the perfect game for him to prove himself to Rodgers if nothing else as a squad player

Good thread Dreamy.

Anyway:

1 - Did you watch the game? Did you actually see Fellaini's performance? The reason he caused United so many problems wasn't cos he stood in the box and Everton lumped balls up to him. It's cos he's a very good footballer, who used his strength well, took up great positions, harried the defensive midfielder everytime he had it, and worked his cunt off. I've never seen Carroll do that. I can see what you're doing with your simplistic Tall Striker With Shit hair + Tall Striker With Shit Hair = A Winning Formula, but the difference si that Fellaini's a cracking player. Carroll is not.

2 - When has Andy Carroll ever in his 18 months for us dominated like that? Or forget that, dominated at all? I'd be all for this revolutionary tactic of yours if he'd showed the ability to monster top class centre backs in his time with us. He hasn't done it once.

3 - We don't play like Everton. Have you noticed we've got a new manager who likes to keep the ball on the deck?

Good thread Dreamy.

2 - When has Andy Carroll ever in his 18 months for us dominated like that? Or forget that, dominated at all? I'd be all for this revolutionary tactic of yours if he'd showed the ability to monster top class centre backs in his time with us. He hasn't done it once.

Last season's FA Cup final comes to mind.

Good thread Dreamy.

Anyway:

1 - Did you watch the game? Did you actually see Fellaini's performance? The reason he caused United so many problems wasn't cos he stood in the box and Everton lumped balls up to him. It's cos he's a very good footballer, who used his strength well, took up great positions, harried the defensive midfielder everytime he had it, and worked his cunt off. I've never seen Carroll do that. I can see what you're doing with your simplistic Tall Striker With Shit hair + Tall Striker With Shit Hair = A Winning Formula, but the difference si that Fellaini's a cracking player. Carroll is not.

3 - We don't play like Everton. Have you noticed we've got a new manager who likes to keep the ball on the deck?
As mentioned the Fa Cup final he was all that and then some and for England in the game he played at the Euros too. Even with our new style and system how many times did we see crosses go itno the box only to see no challenge or Suarez heading over. Put Carroll as the focal point with Suarez one side and our new winger the other and you may see a different outcome.
Of course he wants to keep the ball on the deck but we still got alot of balls into the box from wide areas. We aren't going to perfect the style before the Utd game. Also Rodgers himself said its not set in stone and sometimes you need to adapt a style slightly to what players you have.

I thought I'd go away for a few months, spare myself the silly season, and come back to at least modest improvement.

Instead I come back, one game into the season, and we are looking to emulate fucking Everton using a forward whose purchase last year lead to the sacking of everyone involved in that decision.

Say it ain't so. I barely know most of these players we've bought. Tell me we've got some attacking threat. I can't do a 10 month canoe trip.

Let me take that one step further for you Fark.

We can't even emulate that Everton tactic, because Fellaini's a much better footballer than Carroll. It's not 'our tall equals your tall' unfortunately. Most don't seem to get that though.

I thought I'd go away for a few months, spare myself the silly season, and come back to at least modest improvement.

Instead I come back, one game into the season, and we are looking to emulate fucking Everton using a forward whose purchase last year lead to the sacking of everyone involved in that decision.

Say it ain't so. I barely know most of these players we've bought. Tell me we've got some attacking threat. I can't do a 10 month canoe trip.
I'm not saying lets play like Everton, I was merely pointing out the huge problem Utd have against an aerial threat at the moment. They are very vunerable. And if deviating from the 'Blue print' for 1 game against our biggest rivals to use an asset that is so obviously effective against them at the moment then I don't think that's all that bad.

I'm not saying lets play like Everton, I was merely pointing out the huge problem Utd have against an aerial threat at the moment. They are very vunerable. And if deviating from the 'Blue print' for 1 game against our biggest rivals to use an asset that is so obviously effective against them at the moment then I don't think that's all that bad.

Dreamy. Everton won not because they pumped long balls up to a target man, they won because they pressured United all over the park, gave their midfielders (espcially Scholes) zero time on the ball, and had in Fellaini someone who United couldn't handle all over the ground - not just in the penalty box. He's a distinctly different, and better, player than Carroll.

Suggesting we lump Carroll in there and hit him with balls into the box is short-term thinking, isn't based on logic, and hasn't worked for us before.

Dreamy. Everton won not because they pumped long balls up to a target man, they won because they pressured United all over the park, gave their midfielders (espcially Scholes) zero time on the ball, and had in Fellaini someone who United couldn't handle all over the ground - not just in the penalty box. He's a distinctly different, and better, player than Carroll.

Suggesting we lump Carroll in there and hit him with balls into the box is short-term thinking, isn't based on logic, and hasn't worked for us before.
I never said to do that. I said we should have him up there so that on the occasion we cross the ball (like we did against West Brom) we have someone who can put it away.

Dreamy, he scored 5 goals in the league last year. How many of them were headers from crosses from wide? 1?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and expecting different results.

The definition of complete fucking insanity is getting away from something that didn't work to a new thing, then going back to again as a once off and expecting it to work.

Fuck all were but that would have alot to do with very poor crosses, something I would expect our new winger to solve.

I think there is merit in playing him in our current set-up.

It would just mean taking Downing out and swapping Suarez out to the side (where he is imo better) Taking Downing out isn't much of a loss.

AC is not Felliani but he does make defenders uncomfortable and he can head the ball better than Suarez. Man Utd is going to be a scrappy game and most of our chances will come from the occasional long balls / shots from distance which he thrives on anyway.

We could also play Assaidi or Sterling in but Man Utd might be too big an occasion for them. If we sign a new CM on loan though, I'd play Gerrard out wide instead.

Why would we loan him out if we couldn't sell him? We won't have the money to replace him

How will that get us a player after the window has closed?

It won't but it will save us money and possibly make us a few million.

So in a team that's struggling for goals, you're advocating playing Carroll against our rivals because you expect him to do well, and then loaning him out, rather than sell him and getting a replacement, because it'll "save on the wage bill"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom