• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best John Barnes compilation I've seen so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder. If a prime Barnes played for Klopp today, on the right, instructed to be a goal scoring winger that plays narrower than a conventional winger, what would his goal record look like?
Can breeze past defenders, score with both feet, eye for a killer pass, pace, skill. He'd probably have a more spectacular record than Mane's. Would he have a goal record in line with Salah?

Barnes, Thiago and Salah are probably the most skillful players I've seen at LFC.

His ability to look equally dangerous on either foot is incredible. We all know Salah's right foot is for standing on, and he'll do all he can to get the ball on that left foot. He's coped well despite that limitation (an understatement!), but at times its hard to tell what foot Barnes favours in that vid.

One thought I had was how big a of a deal we made of Salah's goal against City last season and I mean it was a big deal, but it seems like Barnes scored those type of goals for fun.

Just saw this pic today ... good thread to add it to:

289090575_2008328149338815_698217560669293208_n.jpg

I know Barnes played predominantly on the left, but for those that have seen both (assuming you could stick Barnes over on the right cutting in), who was the better player... Barnes or Salah?

I was kid back then. I mean Salah is definitely a better scorer but Barnes was better all round. The fact that he finished his career as a decent CM says a lot really.
But in the end, you'd never know. Look at the state of some of the pitches that Barnes played on and what he managed to do on them.

I just mentioned my top 3, I mean if I extend it of course players like Firmino, Suarez even Garcia and Molby would be in it.
I'd put Suarez above Thiago and Salah for skill. Loved his skillset that ranged from the sublime to the street football style stuff.

I was kid back then. I mean Salah is definitely a better scorer but Barnes was better all round. The fact that he finished his career as a decent CM says a lot really.
But in the end, you'd never know. Look at the state of some of the pitches that Barnes played on and what he managed to do on them.

Yeah was gonna say if you had peak Barnes now and gave him to Klopp and he could only choose one of him and Salah for the same position, do you think he could reach Salah figures in terms of goals? He does look better all round from the clips I've seen.

Yeah was gonna say if you had peak Barnes now and gave him to Klopp and he could only choose one of him and Salah for the same position, do you think he could reach Salah figures in terms of goals? He does look better all round from the clips I've seen.
Salah has the goals to say otherwise - but he does seem one dimensional and more easy to negate. Barnes was anything but one dimensional. He actually floated in and out of space-time.
Also Barnes didn't have an ounce of selfishness in him...always a team player.

One thought I had was how big a of a deal we made of Salah's goal against City last season and I mean it was a big deal, but it seems like Barnes scored those type of goals for fun.

Nah. The switch of pace and such close control... Barnes couldn't have scored that goal against City, I can't think of anyone else bar Suarez who could.

But this isn't a Barnes diss topic. He was the very best at the time.

Nah. The switch of pace and such close control... Barnes couldn't have scored that goal against City, I can't think of anyone else bar Suarez who could.

You might be right, Suarez would have. If it wasn't for Kuyt.

Yes - Barnes sort of needed his own momentum, and close control to carry him through defenses. He wasn't a stop start kinda player. Salah's goal against City was something else that Barnes probably didn't have. However, you can say the same of Salah, he definitely doesn't have a lot of what was in Barnes' locker.

Just saw this pic today ... good thread to add it to:

289090575_2008328149338815_698217560669293208_n.jpg

Did I ever tell you about 24 hours I had in Reykjavík hanging around with Bruce Grobbelaar. It was brilliant. We paid him to make a celebrity experience, and he did not disappoint from start to finish. We went around the town and people's reactions were simply hilarious. Last I saw, I put him in a cab at 4am to the airport.

Favorite manager? Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom