• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bayern Munich post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incredible though it may seem, Henderson contributed brilliantly in defence, and set up a couple of chances

Keita looked arsed for 20 minutes out of 70.

You're making a weird point by bashing Henderson, when 99% of us thought it was his best game in ages for us.

We barely created a decent chance

There was mane twice....that's about it I think?
Salah (header at back post - should have hit the target), Matip (shot wide - just as easy to hit the target from 7m out !), Firmino (he should have just lobbed it over the keeper instead of trying to chip it back into the box) and Mane x2.

We had enough chances to have made at least one of them count. We've been pretty poor this season at converting the chances we do create .. or so it seems. Stats may say differently.

Incredible though it may seem, Henderson contributed brilliantly in defence, and set up a couple of chances

Keita looked arsed for 20 minutes out of 70.

You're making a weird point by bashing Henderson, when 99% of us thought it was his best game in ages for us.
Does this sound like I'm bashing him ? Did you include Woland in that 99% ?
Hendo : 7.5 - excellent first half all over the pitch but anonymous second though still worked hard defensively.

Ben Johnson who you all seem to love :
Naby: 8 Thought he was excellent, you know. Manages to open up space for himself all day long. The one in midfield who was linking it all together first half. Had probably run his race when he got took off.

Both Keita and Henderson had good games. Mane and Fabinho were boss. Matip, Alisson and Firmino were alright. The rest never really got going.
I thought we looked very energetic and kept going right until the end, Mane in particular. That bodes well for the rest of the season.
The first 20-25 mins were a bit all over the place and you could see that we've had a longer resting period again.
We gradually got into the game and I have a feeling we'll be flying again soon.

Hopefully this game sets us up nicely to perform the way we have to to get a result on Sunday.

0-0 at home isnt that bad. Its not great, but alright. Dont have to win away to knock out Bayern.

Disappointing performance that, but not the end of the world. Kept a clean sheet with a make shift CB pairing, and if our final balls were a bit better than we could have definitely scored a couple.

Fabinho and Henderson were boss all game!

Not bringing Shaqiri on was fucking criminal.

Although with VVD back in defense, and Fabinho moving back in to midfield we can cause them serious trouble. They won't play so tight at home and that could work in our favor.

I think we did ok for a long period. But they played well. They defended deeper and deeper and we will get more spaces away from home. Got my Allianz ticket sorted and I am ready to rumble!!!!

Knowing you Norwegians you'll treat yourself to a stopover in Hamburg to check out St.Pauli on the way home too.

As far as the game is concerned, I suspect that with Virgil back we'll play it more or less the same way we did last night.

You think my opinion is bollocks and blinkered .... I think yours is exactly the same. If Hendo was so brilliant how come only 1 person has him as MotM. Even Ben Johnson rated both Keita and Hendo as 8s !

On Morse's poll, 17 people have Henderson as MOTM. 2 have Keita

4 people have Henderson in 2nd place. 0 Have Keita

I thought Fabinho was fantastic, Robbo really wasteful, Mane wasteful, Salah quiet. The rest so-so.
Not sure what's going on with Alisson, I hope he's not caught Achterbergitus. He needs to pack in dribbling past people, and pass it short if at all possible, a lot of his longer balls as of late are flat and going straight to the opposition. He's not playing shit or anything, but looks like he's about to. Virg was missing though so I'm guessing that plays a part.

Part of it IMO (and it affects other players as well, esp.the front three) is that we now seem to be thinking about what we were doing more instinctively last season. This may be necessary as we transition to being harder to beat and more savvy generally, but there may be a price to pay meanwhile.

On Morse's poll, 17 people have Henderson as MOTM. 2 have Keita

4 people have Henderson in 2nd place. 0 Have Keita
Errr did you see me pushing Keita as MotM ? I had him 3rd behind Fabs and Hendo. blows raspberry

You're just mining Fabio 'likes' aren't you ?!

That was disappointing. It was a tough game, with few real chances - and hardly any shots on target - but at 0-0 it's still quite nicely poised. Obviously Bayern will be more pleased with that result than us, but not conceding was vital. We just didn't create enough, and what opportunities we did get, were wasted with some profligate shooting and sloppy final balls.

Allison (5) This was not up to his usual standards. A clean sheet is important, but he didn't really have to do much to deliver that, and some of his distribution was suicidal. After a nervy first half he calmed down after the break, but if Bayern had shown more ambition or attacking quality we could have been in trouble.

TAA (6) Saw quite a lot of the ball in an attacking sense, and was always trying to create something, but did make a few weird decisions in possession that could have been punished. Kept Coman largely quiet, which was good.

Matip (6) Nearly scored an own goal, which smacked into Allison luckily, and both were also involved in a horribly familiar Keystone Kops routine as mild panic set in. Improved afterwards, and showed some good pace and awareness in keeping Bayern at bay.

Fabinho (8) Very impressive display from a rapidly improving, influential and important player. Two great tackles sorted out defensive wobbles, but he wasn't as dominant in the air as Virgil, and that was noticeable. Still, was our best defender on the night and there's no worries about him playing there, although he's missed in midfield.

Robertson (5) Gnabry gave him a good gnoing over at times in a poor first half, and he was nowhere near his best in either half of the pitch, with overhit crosses and weak clearances. Improved in the second half, and looked more like his old self, but still not great at all.

Henderson (8) Superb for the first hour, making some great interceptions and covering an incredible amount of ground. Some lovely, incisive passing too, to go with the destructive side of his game. Wasn't quite as influential as the game ticked away, but still our best player on the night.

Keita (6) Some good close skills and movement after a subdued start, Keita seemed to grow into the game as he got more confident. Final ball still hit and miss, and he faded in the second half. I'm not sure whether the unpredictable nature of his play is accident or design, but it can be effective when (if) it works.

Wijnaldum (6) Pretty solid, if unspectacular, and his usually excellent passing deteriorated a bit after half time, and he seemed to run out of ideas.

Mane (6) Was our most likely player to score, and always looked dangerous, but his shooting was all over the place like a mad woman's piss and only managed one or two shots on target.

Salah (6) Had very few chances and no space, as the usual tactic of swarming him with defenders starved him of any clear chances. Made one himself before Wijnaldum got in his way, and one lovely backheel was breathtakingly impudent, but not much else apart from a volleyed effort and one far-post header

Firmino (6) Had a decent spell when he seemed to kick into life and actually managed to find some space to work in, but apart form one cross and a clever reverse ball, he was well-shackled by Bayern and couldn't do enough to really hurt Bayern. Not sure he even had a shot all night.

Subs:

Milner (6) Efficient use of the ball, and some good work linking up with his old mucker Robbo.
Origi (3) Only had 15 minutes but wasted every single one of them.

Last edited:
I bet loads of nobheads are going to tell me how well Henderson did, despite being in the centre of and the reason for the least creative midfield display since we had Poulson

Hmmm, he was the DM and Gini and Keita didn't create much, he created a golden chance for Salah.

Does this sound like I'm bashing him ? Did you include Woland in that 99% ?

Ben Johnson who you all seem to love :

Why's it got to be either or? Champion the shit out of every half decent new boy performance and belittle every good performance by your pet hates. You sound like fucking Modo. "Oh Ben Johnson said!". Seriously, give it the fuck up.

Why's it got to be either or? Champion the shit out of every half decent new boy performance and belittle every good performance by your pet hates. You sound like fucking Modo. "Oh Ben Johnson said!". Seriously, give it the fuck up.
For a supposedly intelligent guy you're as thick as pigshit on occasion.

I'm one of the few who has been knocking the BJ ratings. That was a dig that clearly you missed.

I'm far from one of those who hate Hendo - so get off your high fucking horse. When, IMO, he's shite I'll say so, when he gets overrated I'll say so, when he plays well I'll say so.

Instead of churning out ridiculous lines such as "I'm championing ..." go back and see what I've actually said, which is generally pretty fairly balanced - most of my grenades have been at those with a clear bias. I'm sure you know how to use the Search function.

I don't see you going to task on others who actually didn't rate Hendo. Check the MotM thread as well as the Post BM thread. Why is that Mark ? You only bother to have a go at those posters you don't like? Don't bother, we know the answer, not that you are the only one.

Last edited:
BJ ratings? What did I miss?

$

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"> UPDATE: The culprits have come forward! Fair play <a href="https://twitter.com/jaksaunders13?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@jaksaunders13</a> and co - hook line and sinker. <a href="https://t.co/Ne2bo9cBIl">pic.twitter.com/Ne2bo9cBIl</a></p>&mdash; AFC Fylde (@AFCFylde) <a href="">February 13, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
The Liverpool of last season in the CL would have probably put 4 or 5 past that lot last night. The opposition showed nothing last night that you could consider a real threat to our makeshift central defense. It seems that most on here think they played a tactical masterclass but there were gaps all over the place in their defense at different instances of the game. But as we have seen - these long breaks between games seems to take the sharpness out of our forward play, it was a case of lazy decision making, stray passes/wrong passes, just overall general zero thought movement up front by our key players. I think 10 days is too long a break to have between these games. We should have and could have played much better than we did last night, it was a Monday morning at work type performance from the team.

You’re right moron WE DEMAND 5 GOALS against a side who have made the quarter finals in each of the last 7 seasons. A side full of top quality players.

You’re right moron WE DEMAND 5 GOALS against a side who have made the quarter finals in each of the last 7 seasons. A side full of top quality players.
Depends on what other rubbish they played to get to those QF's. Not a case of beating them 5 -0 ...we should have just beaten them and as for top class players ..fuck knows where you got that from. Dont mention that slow paced striker of theirs..was never worried about him before the game or at anytime.

Depends on what other rubbish they played to get to those QF's. Not a case of beating them 5 -0 ...we should have just beaten them and as for top class players ..fuck knows where you got that from. Dont mention that slow paced striker of theirs..was never worried about him before the game or at anytime.

You are vastly oversimplifying things here, Moron.

You're right, we SHOULD have beaten them, but there are several factors that led to us not doing that... They came for a 0-0. They contained us very well. We played a CB pairing that not only deprived us of our most important player, but our most important midfielder too. And we wasted a few good chances.

But it fucking happens. Man City have lost to some really shite teams this year too. And though they're on the decline, they're still Bayern Munich, FFS. We didn't just get held by Grasshoppers.

Be under no illusions that, though we missed a chance to take a lead to Germany, they will still be every bit as worried about what we're still capable of doing there, as we should be of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom