• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Back up GK

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Allison is incredible.
So that position, unlike last year and hopefully for the next 5-7 years, is taken care of.

However ... back up goalkeeper.

Do we sell Ming for 10-15 and promote one of the kids?
do we bring back Karius?
Do we sign Etheridge for a few million?

There was a link to the Southampton second choice keeper in one of the papers today

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/353942-alex-mccarthy-liverpool-transfer

Liverpool boss Jürgen Klopp is weighing up a move for Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.

Saints star McCarthy is on Klopp’s radar as he looks for a new back-up keeper.

Klopp considered a move for McCarthy last summer when a deal for Alisson looked like it might have to be put on hold with Roma digging their heels in.

But the Reds finally got their man and McCarthy remained at St Mary’s.

McCarthy, 29, began the season as the Saints’ No.1 under Mark Hughes and his form led to a call-up by England boss Gareth Southgate, which saw him make his Three Lions debut as a second-half substitute against the USA in November.

He kept his place at Southampton following Ralph Hassenhuttl’s arrival as manager but lost it to Angus Gunn in February and was unable to displace the former Manchester City youngster.

Source: Daily Mirror

If Ming is happy then i say keep him as back up and pseudo GK coach. The squad loves him.

What's wrong with one of the highly rated keepers we have got? Why put another obstacle in their way?

Buffon seems like a no brainer - available on a free.

He had the right to execute an extension & big pay rise in his contract at PSG - and declined.

Media saying he declined it as he wouldn't be no.1 choice, not true - a player of his stature, calibre and professionalism could not handle being around that circus of egos.

Free transfer, money not a concern for him, will be happy to be a backup & is still a very reliable keeper.

Buffon seems like a no brainer - available on a free.

He had the right to execute an extension & big pay rise in his contract at PSG - and declined.

Media saying he declined it as he wouldn't be no.1 choice, not true - a player of his stature, calibre and professionalism could not handle being around that circus of egos.

Free transfer, money not a concern for him, will be happy to be a backup & is still a very reliable keeper.
Not going to happen, what with his Juve past

Sell Mong, buy someone from our feeder team at 50% markup.
Bring back Karius?! The lolz

Tom Heaton has rejected Burnley's contract offer; he could be a great #2 here if he wants it.

What's wrong with one of the highly rated keepers we have got? Why put another obstacle in their way?
They need to be playing games and can't be if they're stuck on our bench every week. We need some experienced cover. I don't think there's many examples of clubs using youth as GK cover.

Either one of our 'youth' GKs are knocking at the door or we need to buy. I cannot imagine Ming, nor any other established PL 'keeper, wants to be our new 'Bonus'. Joining a PL team as the no. 2 is always a dodgy one. You know that if the main keeper (Becker [Alisonn], De Gea, Cech etc) are not injured that you will not have a real pressure situation all season and there's no chance of international football because of it.

Whatever the answer is by mid-August it wont be Karius

They need to be playing games and can't be if they're stuck on our bench every week. We need some experienced cover. I don't think there's many examples of clubs using youth as GK cover.

Yep, Kelleher and Grabara both look very exciting, which is why they shouldn't be stuck on the bench behind Alisson. They need to play, make mistakes and learn from them.

Keep Ming.

He can leave on a free when his contract runs out.

Tom Heaton has rejected Burnley's contract offer; he could be a great #2 here if he wants it.

He won't though. For me he's possibly the best English keeper of the lot (I'd have him in the England side ahead of Pickford all day long) and I can't see him voluntarily accepting a no.2 spot anywhere.

He won't though. For me he's possibly the best English keeper of the lot (I'd have him in the England side ahead of Pickford all day long) and I can't see him voluntarily accepting a no.2 spot anywhere.

Agreed - he's quality and that showed again when he replaced the overrated Hart for the second part of the season. Maybe he feels he'll be behind Pope at Burnley again. He'd improve most clubs in the PL/.

Ming will stay. Its the best we can hope for though the likes of butland / heaton would provide more assurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom