• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Arsenal post-match

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was quite surprised that BT and in particular Ferdinand, spent most of the post match talking about how it was a great point for Arsenal. They haven't fallen that far behind that a point at home to one of their rivals is a good result. And for all of their domination in the game, which is expected of a top class passing side at home, we had the more clear cut opportunities during the game and arguably should have won. We all expected a tough game and a point away at your rivals is title winning stuff, providing you do the business at home and against the rest of the league. Arsenal were treated like they'd turned from Stoke City to Real Madrid overnight.

Dunno, I didn't watch any of the post match stuff (never do) but I agree - it was a better point for Arsenal than it was for us.

They'd become a bit of an irrelevance (and judging by the popularity of Arsenal TV amongst rival fans, a great source of schadenfreude) in the last years of Wenger.

They kept a low profile pretty much in the summer and nobody was really paying them much attention.

Credit where due, Emery has done really well getting them to bounce back this season but yesterday was the big test - can they mix it with the big boys? Annoyingly, we allowed them to answer that question with a "yes".

Yeah, fair enough, although Emery has done a good job so far, no doubt and signing Torreira (sp?) looks a good bit of business.

That said, we should be beating a team with that bunch of clowns in defence, and we didn't. Firmino, TAA and the hapless Fabinho cost us three points, but Wijnaldum, Mane and Milner can play much better than that too. We're a better side than Arsenal, even if they did have - on the day - better attackers and a stronger midfield.

So we drew away to a good side, and three of our team were piss-poor

Ah bullshit - quit the crap.

Yes, all 3 were poor, but we lost points because a) the linesman's a cunt and b) Vvd missed 3 chances (2 which were rather simple).
That's the difference between 3 points and 1.

What about Alisson on the goal? Should he have come out as he did?

Yes, all 3 were poor, but we lost points because a) the linesman's a cunt and b) Vvd missed 3 chances (2 which were rather simple).

If they hadn't been shit, we would have scored more goals

Yes, he should have. At least according to the former GK in the studio over here. He was let down by the lack of press from the defenders when Lacazette set up the shot.

Right, so it's hard to understand that if several of your players are shit, you are less likely to win a game?

Fucking hell, wow.

Right, so it's hard to understand that if the linesman did his job and VvD took 1 of his 3 rather good chances, we're likely to have won the game by 2+ goals?

Fucking hell, wow!

As others have said already, but what I found the most annoying was the constant tv coverage of Emery. I nearly switched the TV off.

Generally I think it was the worst directed TV broadcast of a game in years. Aside from gratuitous shots, and 'manager cam,' of Emery, there were the endless replays. Yes, they have cameras everywhere now so they can show loads of angles, but how often do you need them? Most replays are pointless. And that technology has evolved against the game rather than for it, because the game is quicker than ever while the replays are more numerous than ever. It can take no more than 15 seconds to go from a keeper up to a striker and a goal, and yet still we get obligatory replays while a keeper is bowling the ball out. There's only one top priority for fans watching on TV and that's to see what's actually happening. Everything else needs to fit around that, not replace it. That director was a disgrace.

James Milner was the man who scored Liverpool’s goal in their 1-1 draw with Arsenal on Saturday and, according to Jürgen Klopp, it was also the midfielder who offered some stern words to fire up his team at half-time.
Milner gave Liverpool the lead just after the hour mark, only for Alexandre Lacazette to equalise in the latter stages. But while the game was a fun, intense contest for the neutral, the Liverpool manager spent much of the first half in a state of agitation, unhappy with what he deemed a substandard display from his team.
“You have a compact formation, you force [Arsenal] to pass the ball somewhere – that’s pressing, it’s not that complicated,” said Klopp. “The best way is to do it right from the first moment and then you can build on that, but we didn’t do it right from the first moment. That means there’s a time that it’s not there and we all felt like, ‘What the heck is here?

“Milly was the one who saw it first and was quite – how can we say, was not happy – was animated. That’s good. That’s how it is in a dressing room, there is a lot of men, a lot of testosterone. One is talking – that’s me – and sometimes before I start talking the boys have a few words and that’s all. Milly is a proper leader.” Liverpool continued their record of never losing a game in which Milner scored, and while the summer arrivals of Naby Keïta and Fabinho might have suggested the 32-year-old’s days as a regular starter were numbered in the team, he has been among their best players this season. “Milly is like wine,” said Klopp. “A very good red one. I’m not sure if Leeds is famous for wine? He’s getting better. I think he should buy all of the newspapers and read this. I would like it if you write a story about James Milner.” Klopp then shifted from appreciation to heavy sarcasm. “Obviously someone might write that he [should] play for England again. That’s a really nice idea.”

Right, so it's hard to understand that if the linesman did his job and VvD took 1 of his 3 rather good chances, we're likely to have won the game by 2+ goals?

Fucking hell, wow!

We wouldn't have deserved to. We were dogshit for about an hour, and three of our players were rubbish. Please check my ratings for more details

James Milner was the man who scored Liverpool’s goal in their 1-1 draw with Arsenal on Saturday and, according to Jürgen Klopp, it was also the midfielder who offered some stern words to fire up his team at half-time.
Milner gave Liverpool the lead just after the hour mark, only for Alexandre Lacazette to equalise in the latter stages. But while the game was a fun, intense contest for the neutral, the Liverpool manager spent much of the first half in a state of agitation, unhappy with what he deemed a substandard display from his team.
“You have a compact formation, you force [Arsenal] to pass the ball somewhere – that’s pressing, it’s not that complicated,” said Klopp. “The best way is to do it right from the first moment and then you can build on that, but we didn’t do it right from the first moment. That means there’s a time that it’s not there and we all felt like, ‘What the heck is here?

“Milly was the one who saw it first and was quite – how can we say, was not happy – was animated. That’s good. That’s how it is in a dressing room, there is a lot of men, a lot of testosterone. One is talking – that’s me – and sometimes before I start talking the boys have a few words and that’s all. Milly is a proper leader.” Liverpool continued their record of never losing a game in which Milner scored, and while the summer arrivals of Naby Keïta and Fabinho might have suggested the 32-year-old’s days as a regular starter were numbered in the team, he has been among their best players this season. “Milly is like wine,” said Klopp. “A very good red one. I’m not sure if Leeds is famous for wine? He’s getting better. I think he should buy all of the newspapers and read this. I would like it if you write a story about James Milner.” Klopp then shifted from appreciation to heavy sarcasm. “Obviously someone might write that he [should] play for England again. That’s a really nice idea.”

Imagine spending £90m in summer on new central midfielders and 32 year old James Milner still being your best central midfielder.

Imagine spending £90m in summer on new central midfielders and 32 year old James Milner still being your best central midfielder.

Thats pretty irrelevant at this stage of the season, given that one is injured and one has played 3 games. That Milner has stepped up, once again, is just positive for the club.

Thats pretty irrelevant at this stage of the season, given that one is injured and one has played 3 games. That Milner has stepped up, once again, is just positive for the club.

How is that a positive? I wanted an obvious upgrade in midfield an attack. So far we've seen some glimpses of quality from Shaqiri, but the rest has been disappointing.

We wouldn't have deserved to. We were dogshit for about an hour, and three of our players were rubbish. Please check my ratings for more details

I think an hour is generous - but we created good chances that we really should have capitalized on ... This is the only game that had me worried so far this year - it was obvious we were Arsenal's 'measuring stick' and this was a cup final for them ...

I think an hour is generous - but we created good chances that we really should have capitalized on ... This is the only game that had me worried so far this year - it was obvious we were Arsenal's 'measuring stick' and this was a cup final for them ...

They've already lost to Man City and Chelsea

DERMOT SAYS: "Mane's goal should have stood. Although he was in an offside position he doesn't impact because Firmino goes for the ball. When Firmino plays the ball he's behind him, so even though the ball comes back off the post, the last Liverpool player to play the ball was Firmino so Mane was entitled to follow up and score. Because the assistant was caught on the first ball he's out of position and cannot the position of the Liverpool players."

The whole offside rule these days is bollocks though. By today’s law, the goal should have stood. No question.

But how the hell authorities deem that an attacking player stood behind the last line of defence is not interfering with play is beyond me. The defenders and goal keeper are all aware of his presence. They adjust accordingly. It’s complete bollocks to say he can only be interfering if he touches the ball or is in the line of site of the goalie if someone shoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom