• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeTallecWiz

Doos
Honorary Member
Not traveled with spurs again.
Seems like hes firmly in jose's doghouse.
Would he be the ideal bobby back up/replacement?
Or is he too far gone that eve klopp couldn't work his magic with him?
For 25-30 mill, would be worth it imo

He isn't going anywhere, not for £30m. Maureen is style of management is to divide and rule. Delete is available, but knowing Spurs, its going to be £50m +

Couple seasons ago, Alli was valued at £160m and SCMers were rueing the clubs failure to sign him, when he was an unknown.
Klopp could turn Alli world class again, but Spurs are not going to let him go for cheap

Last edited:
If Mourinho says he's a shit trainer then there's no chance he'll live up to Klopps expectations

De Bruyne, Salah, Casillas, Ramos, Pogba - All of them fell of with Mourinho.

At the right price, 30-50 million, and right wages, he would be a welcome addition to our squad. I think Klopp would turn him into a superstar. Given that he is a big Stevie G fan, I think we have a good chance to get him at decent wages.

He's very talented, but his form has fallen off a cliff the last couple of years. Mourinho likes to make an example of player now and then (like with Casillas at Madrid). Probably a combination of a power move and Alli not being as good as he once was. With the right coach he could still be a very good player. Don't think he'd the be right fit for us houhh as he's more of a number 10

What’s happened to him? His formed dropped off before Mourinho became manager at Spurs.

Let’s be honest - after a few years the pain of being at Spurs when you could have been getting Klopp hugs is bound to effect your mental state and form.

Poor bastard probably wakes up every morning in tears.

[article]As a consequence of Dele's removal, the need for a no.10 has diminished; Mourinho is free to devise a new approach according to the qualities of his most important players with Bale, Reguilon and Kane set to be integral, and he's decided on 4-3-3.

Without Dele occupying the space between Spurs' midfield and attack, Kane is now able to drift and wander into deeper areas to link with others and showcase his passing range rather than being restricted to the penalty box.

Such roaming is unlikely to cause structural problems because - theoretically - Son Heung-min and Bale should drift towards the middle and stretch defences by actively darting in behind.
0_export-2020-10-20T123933302.jpg

Kane can drift into midfield without Dele which permits Mourinho's wide forwards to come inside and threaten in behind

From the perspective of an opposing centre-back, do you follow Kane into midfield and allow a channel to open up for Son or Bale to run into, or do you allow Kane to stray despite knowing that he's dangerous when presented with time and space?

That double-edged sword is going to be difficult for opponents to handle, and Reguilon looks set to pose the same offensive threat from the left that Aurier poses from the right while the central midfield trident - including another summer purchase in Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg - focus on primarily remaining behind the ball.
0_export-2020-10-20T124125581.jpg

Reguilon supports his teammates in the final third while Mourinho's central midfielders stay behind the ball

Tanguy Ndombele - who is another fairly recent arrival - is also benefiting from the new shape; he had previously failed to convince Mourinho that he was contributing enough as part of a midfield two but as part of a trio, the Frenchman is afforded greater protection and assistance from those around him.

Bale is yet to truly play a part as he continues to return to full fitness - with Steven Bergwijn deployed against West Ham - but it's reasonable to suggest that he'll be a regular starter before too long.

Overall, Spurs' structure is more harmonious with Dele out of the picture; Kane can act as a more prominent figure, Son and Bale can both play high and on the inside, and Reguilon, Hojbjerg and Ndombele can dedicate their energy to what they do best as individuals.

Mourinho has found balance, and with only five Premier League matches played this season and each rival club encountering major problems of their own, the three-time champion might silently believe that he's got an outside chance of reclaiming his crown.
[/article]

No from me.

It wouldn't suit us or the player. He needs to find a team where he can be a central figure otherwise he'll end up like Barkley at Chelsea.

Not traveled with spurs again.
Seems like hes firmly in jose's doghouse.
Would he be the ideal bobby back up/replacement?
Or is he too far gone that eve klopp couldn't work his magic with him?
For 25-30 mill, would be worth it imo

You really think Spurs would sell him to us for 25-30 mill?
Moving for him would be very similar to the Ox signing. A player with potential, from a London team, with a history of being injured a lot. Is in and out of the team.
I mean it's not a good look.
And like someone else said, if he doesn't have the right attitude at Spurs then is he really the right player for us?

I really rated him at one point as he seemed powerful, strong, good with feet and in the air but the intensity has gone. I think the emergence of Son saw him pushed deeper and he just isn't that player. Wouldn't consider him here though.

Looks like Maureen has bought a job lot of William Shatner's old Star Trek cozzies. He's wearing one of the ones the Shat wore when they had a special alien visiting the ship.

Always liked him as a player and sometimes all it takes is a change of manager/surrounding for 1 to regain that confidence/spark call it whatever.

For the right price he'd definitely be a good option but do we need him?

Maybe Ox + 10m.

He's declined so dramatically I think you'd need to see at least some signs of him fighting back before considering making a move for him. It's not as if there hasn't been the stimuli to get him going again - he's been in big games, international games, big challenges, and he's continued to coast. You can't do these days what Maureen does with that kind of player - they're on massive wages, you can't just shrug your shoulders and see how they react to being ignored, you need to have a really serious discussion with them, set out what needs to change and then either encourage them or put them up for transfer. Ozil, Bale, Sanchez - that kind of thing just can't go any more.

[article]As a consequence of Dele's removal, the need for a no.10 has diminished; Mourinho is free to devise a new approach according to the qualities of his most important players with Bale, Reguilon and Kane set to be integral, and he's decided on 4-3-3.

Without Dele occupying the space between Spurs' midfield and attack, Kane is now able to drift and wander into deeper areas to link with others and showcase his passing range rather than being restricted to the penalty box.

Such roaming is unlikely to cause structural problems because - theoretically - Son Heung-min and Bale should drift towards the middle and stretch defences by actively darting in behind.
0_export-2020-10-20T123933302.jpg

Kane can drift into midfield without Dele which permits Mourinho's wide forwards to come inside and threaten in behind

From the perspective of an opposing centre-back, do you follow Kane into midfield and allow a channel to open up for Son or Bale to run into, or do you allow Kane to stray despite knowing that he's dangerous when presented with time and space?

That double-edged sword is going to be difficult for opponents to handle, and Reguilon looks set to pose the same offensive threat from the left that Aurier poses from the right while the central midfield trident - including another summer purchase in Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg - focus on primarily remaining behind the ball.
0_export-2020-10-20T124125581.jpg

Reguilon supports his teammates in the final third while Mourinho's central midfielders stay behind the ball

Tanguy Ndombele - who is another fairly recent arrival - is also benefiting from the new shape; he had previously failed to convince Mourinho that he was contributing enough as part of a midfield two but as part of a trio, the Frenchman is afforded greater protection and assistance from those around him.

Bale is yet to truly play a part as he continues to return to full fitness - with Steven Bergwijn deployed against West Ham - but it's reasonable to suggest that he'll be a regular starter before too long.

Overall, Spurs' structure is more harmonious with Dele out of the picture; Kane can act as a more prominent figure, Son and Bale can both play high and on the inside, and Reguilon, Hojbjerg and Ndombele can dedicate their energy to what they do best as individuals.

Mourinho has found balance, and with only five Premier League matches played this season and each rival club encountering major problems of their own, the three-time champion might silently believe that he's got an outside chance of reclaiming his crown.
[/article]

Don’t know much about Alli’s personality and motivation, but I think at some level it’s simply a matter of #10’s not really fitting into the mould of modern football. Defensively it’s the least important position on the pitch, in fact almost irrelevant - sure, theoretically you can try to use your #10 to press and harass the opposing team’s DM/pivot, but in practice with the kind of cultured passers most teams now have in this position this would be a high-energy low-reward endeavor to chase after the ball while heavily outnumbered in the most spacious area of the pitch. Mourinho used to play with 4-2-3-1 and a proper #10 almost exclusively at Inter (Sneijder), Madrid (Özil), and still often in his 2nd spell at Chelsea (Oskar) and then United (Lingard and others), but now even he has moved with the times in favor of the Klopp-moulded 4-3-3.

Kane is now playing the Firmino role dropping deep and looking for the wing-forwards’ runs beyond the offside line (and doing a better job of it than Firmino at the moment, it has to be said), midfield is taking shape and the only thing they are missing is another top-class wing-forward on the opposite flank to Son (maybe Bale will be that player once he remembers his primary sport is still football) and perhaps a top-class CB. When I wrote at the start of the season that Spurs will make top-4 easily, perhaps I was underestimating them – at the moment they look to be our most threatening challengers and even their shortcomings seem clear and potentially fixable, which is always a good sign.

Back to Alli, he doesn't seem to have a suitable role in this new Spurs team and in truth he began to lose his way already under Pochettino. He responded as well as he possibly could to the jolt of Mourinho's arrival, but perhaps it's not the attitude that's holding him back, but simply that players like him – not quite strikers, not midfielders and definitely not wingers – rarely have a place at the top level any more. Consider Havertz at Chelsea who is a perhaps the most gifted player of this type to emerge in recent years and no one has ever said a bad thing about his attitude – but even he is struggling to justify the 4-2-3-1 system that leaves Kante and Jorginho with too much to do without quite providing enough compensation in attack. I can only think of Mueller at Bayern who is thriving at this position, but 1) he is currently playing the best football of his career, following an extended period when he struggled and almost left the team and 2) it's very possible that Bayern's system wouldn't have worked in a stronger league. Well, and there is also Bruno Fernandez at United, but their system so far has only worked as a counter-attacking one and that's not quite enough.

Last edited:
Don’t know much about Alli’s personality and motivation

I think that's probably part of the problem. He comes from as 'difficult' a background as Sterling does, except that he doesn't seem to be handling that as well (nor does he have the canny PR team that Sterling does to manipulate it as, when required, a protective cloak, an all-purpose excuse and the launching pad for a public image reboot). I gather there are quite a few 'disruptive' elements in his personal life that have distracted him. He's a versatile player, I don't think the number 10 position would be an issue at all if he was back in his best form.

BTW a lot of what I said above about Alli applies to Minamino as well. If he doesn't manage to seriously challenge Jota as the primary left-wing/cut inside forward option behind Mane, I don't see how he will seriously contribute.

BTW a lot of what I said above about Alli applies to Minamino. If he doesn't manage to seriously challenge Jota as the primary left-wing/cut inside forward option behind Mane, I don't see how he will contribute.

Again, he's a bit more versatile than that, so I don't get the solitary option. In the past he played as centre forward, on the left wing, the right wing, behind the forwards... Jesse Marsch stressed how incredibly good he is to playing to tactical instruction, even when it's something unorthodox for a single game. So for me he looks at present like an ideal rotation option for three or four positions, and who knows what circumstances and form might see him doing in a more specific position long term. It's surely too early for this focus on one chance to succeed.

Mourinho “I’m releasing Bale in Europe”. Lost and took him off after 55 minutes.

Ali lost the ball 11 times in one half against Antwerp. 11!

Mourinho's right. The lads a talented joker, who doesn't apply himself to maximise his talent. Spurs need to sell. Ali needs to go somewhere and a be a big fish in a small pond. He already knows he's 'made it' and he'll have a very unremarkable profesional career given his early promise. Klopp would bin him off Sakho style after spending ten minutes with him.

The comparison with Barkley earlier is a good one. What you have there are two players whose ability is of the right standard but who don't seem to have the mental or emotional maturity to settle into a consistent professional groove and make the most of what they have to offer. Klopp's a brilliant man-manager IF the player has enough about him as an individual to respond in the right way but even Klopp can't polish a turd, nor do I think he'd be inclined to bother in Alli's case. Do Not Want.

I don't just buy players' falling out with Mourinho as being difficult-- he's got a chequered history of picking up fights where none need be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom