• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

All-time Premier League XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
The Beeb are asking.

My team:

----------Schmeichel

Neville Adams Ferdinand Irwin

Ronaldo Keane Viera Giggs

-------Shearer-------Henry

Sorry but Gerrard doesn't make it ahead of those two in the middle.
I picked Irwin ahead of Cole because he was a much better player.
I rate Adams as one of the best defenders who's ever played the game. Terry can fuck off.
Ferdinand was a monster in his peak, a great ball playing defender.
Neville's only competition is Dixon I guess but Neville was better.

Agree with your team except id prob have Beckham RM. Ronaldo wasn't here long enough and didn't really play RM for the last couple of years.

Schmeical
Cole
Ferdinand
Desailly
Neville
Giggs
Vieira
Gerrard
Beckham
Ronaldo
Henry

I genuinely am staggered that a Liverpool fan wouldnt put Gerrard in their best Premier league team.
He is a phenomenon and would be the first name on my team sheet.

Agree with your team except id prob have Beckham RM. Ronaldo wasn't here long enough and didn't really play RM for the last couple of years.
You've got a point but Ronaldo was a beast and lead Scum to at least two titles. Probably one of the top three players who's ever played in the premiership. Can't say the same about Becks.
Ronaldo was more or less a winger when he played in the premiership.

In 577 games Gerrard has 148 goals. Pretty much 1 in 4 for 13 years.
As well as being as good a CM, DM, AM, SS and probably RB as there has been in the premiership.
Keane was class, But Gerrard is a miles better all round player.

It pains me to not have Gerrard there but I can't disregard what Keane and Viera did for their respective teams in the premiership.

It surprises me that the all time top scorer in the premier league doesn't make your team.

It pains me to not have Gerrard there but I can disregard what Keane and Viera did for their respective teams in the premiership.

It surprises me that the all time top scorer in the premier league doesn't make your team.
Yup probably harsh, but Henry and Ronaldo are better players so what can you do.
And Vieira and Keane played in the best two teams in England for 10 years, Gerrard played with Biscan and Murphy and Ince and Redknapp and a bunch of other shit. You seem to be picking the best teams and not the best players. No one would argue that United and Arsenal have enjoyed more success but that doesnt mean their players are better.
Gerrard is better than both.

Keane and Viera are the two best CM the premiership has seen. Gerrards just unfortunate, he's a close 3rd but not as good as either of them.

Keane is the best I've seen

I cant agree Pete not at all.
You find a place for Gerrard, hes that influential, you have to.
Hes the reason we have won trophies in the past decade, hes the reason weve been a top 4 side. Our slide began as Gerrards injuries came.
You cant not have a best premier league team without him. Its madness.

Keane and Viera are the two best CM the premiership has seen. Gerrards just unfortunate, he's a close 3rd but not as good as either of them.

Keane is the best I've seen
You summed it up for me.

I understand Oncey's argument. For me it's like Matt LeTissier. He's one of the most talented forwards I've ever seen but he refused to leave Southampton. Then there's Bergkamp, Cantona, Scholes etc.
If I was forced to pick an attacking midfielder and a defensive midfielder in the middle I'd probably go for Keane and Gerrard.

Wait until the irish come mein Herr
I dont care mate, if Gerrard had played for United he would be the most decorated player in our league and probably lauded as the greatest player of all time. Its not his fault he played for us.

I dont care mate, if Gerrard had played for United he would be the most decorated player in our league and probably lauded as the greatest player of all time. Its not his fault he played for us.
The same could be said about Hyppia too.
I'd consider Hyppia to be as good defensively as any of the above mentioned.

I think your being a tad biased cos he's a Liverpool player. He didn't spend most of his time alongside the players you said, he played with didi and Danny murphy then moved into Xabi and masher etc. yeah he played alongside biscan etc in certain games but he wasn't playing with total dogshit all the time.

He's the best player ive ever seen play for Liverpool having had a season ticket since 1992. But i probably started watching and understanding football properly in about 1996 when I was about 15. And Keane and Viera are the best two CMs that I've seen.

Honest opinion.

Re-read your post Andy and you mentioned Murphy as being shit.

He wasn't.

I seem to remember Keane and Viera getting the upper hand against Gerrard when they played against each other.
I'm not totally sure though.

Scmeichel
Rat face Hyppia Campbell Irwin

Keane(capt) Gerrard
Ronaldo Giggs

Henry Shearer

Campbell might seem a strange selection to some but for 5-6 years I thought he was one of the most complete defenders I have seen.

---------------Scheimcel-----------------
--Neville--Adams--Ferdinand--Irwin
-------------Keane--Vieira---------------
--Ronaldo----Gerrard-----------Giggs
-----------------Henry---------------------

---------------Scheimcel-----------------
--Neville--Adams--Ferdinand--Irwin
-------------Keane--Vieira---------------
--Ronaldo----Gerrard-----------Giggs
-----------------Henry---------------------

This would most definitely be my line up if I could pick three central midfielders.

The same could be said about Hyppia too.
I'd consider Hyppia to be as good defensively as any of the above mentioned.
Hyppia had no pace. Thats why he isnt in my team.
Class obviously.

And I didnt mean that Murphy was crap, and I know he played beside Hamman and Xabi too, but he didnt play for 10 years alongside Giggs, Beckham and Scholes or with wingers the likes of Ljungberg and Pires or a partner like Petit.
Gerrard is better.
In my opinion.
And it isnt bias or id put hyppia, fowler, finnan etc in.
Gerrard is our ONLY player who woukd be in, but id build my team around him.

Keane was a horrible cunt but is the best central midfielder of the last 20 years. Viera is probably second.

It's hypothetical as you don't really pick the team to win a game, which would influence selection. Vieira & Keane are the 2 best centre mids of the Prem era, no doubt about it.

----------Schmeichel-------------

Neville Hyppia Ferdinand Evra

---------------Keane---------------

Gerrard-----Cantona------Henry

-----------Ronaldo-----------------
----------------Shearer------------

I'd love to see Sami and Ferdinand playing as a partnership; unbeatable in the air, excellent coming out of defense and fantastic readers of the game.

I'm a little surprised at everyones love affair with Viera; he was a great player no doubt but I thought he was largely a cog in an incredible Arsenal team which won plenty on the back of Henry, Bergkamp and Pires.

I fretted over LB for a long time; Irwin was the best I'd seen there for so long but the way Evra combined with Rooney, Ronaldo et al for 2 or 3 seasons was out of this world. I honestly thought he outshone Ronaldo for large portions of it. He's a prick - I get it - but he is, or was, an exceptional LB.

Not as hard but I thought Finnan pushed Neville for best RB 2 or 3 seasons in a row.

Keane; I don't know how anyone - from a dispassionate perspective - could leave him out. He ruled the league for several years through shear force of will. If you want a player who's set up the manc dynasty you don't need to look any further.

The next three were largely a combination though they all make it in their own right. The idea of leaving the best goal scoring midfielder out is beyond me; Gerrard does pretty much everything better than any other midfielder we've seen in the epl. He hasn't played with rubbish but neither has he played, for extended periods, with the likes of Giggs, Rooney, Henry, Bergkamp, Pires etc.

Cantona wouldn't make it, IMO, if it weren't for the steel elsewhere; he provides the unbelievable creativity, unpredictable guile and goal scoring to round out the team. I've got to admit that I was keen to put Bergkamp in there but, maybe time has dimmed my memory, I thought Cantona was a revelation in the epl.

Henry was up against Giggs and Pires and I wondered about it for a long time. Giggs is the best winger I think we've had - long term - in the premiership while Pires was an outstanding player. Ultimately Henry provided most of what they did plus even more pace and more goals.

Was pretty much impossible to leave out Ronaldo and Shearer is so easily forgotten it's untrue; the number one goal scorer in the premiership has to be in the number one team of the premiership.

Keane and Gerrard would be the pairing.

Gerrard has been awesome for the best part of ten years and won the Champions League almost on his own. I reckon even Mancs would have a hard time not including him in an all time best XI.

Vieira was great too but not Gerrards class. Never.

Personally I believe Gerrard's better than Keane as well but that's just me.

Gerrard's never really been a central midfielder, so I'm always perplexed when he's compared to Keane or Vieira.

In 577 games Gerrard has 148 goals. Pretty much 1 in 4 for 13 years.
As well as being as good a CM, DM, AM, SS and probably RB as there has been in the premiership.

All lovely, but would you like to see the stats about how many times Keane and Vieira captained their teams to titles versus Gerrard?

It's like arguing possession percentages over wins. Nice and fucking dandy like, but wheres the trophies?

Keane and Vieira.

No supporter from any other lcub would have Gerrard in ahead of those two.

And here's the icing for you; Gerrard's not a great central midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom